The Rich Girls Are Weeping

23 December 2006

Happy Holidays, everyone! No matter what your religious affiliation (or lack thereof), international location, or what have you, we send you the very best wishes for a lovely holiday season.

Over the past few days, I've spent an inordinately large amount of time shuttling between The Castle (In Brooklyn, In Which We Reside -- thank you, Beastie Boys) and J&R Computer/Music World in Lower Manhattan. My trusty clunky desktop computer Bryan (yes, as in Bryan Ferry. No. Really.) finally just kind of fell apart. It was one of those systems I built myself out of cardboard and string and rubberbands. So, I had to take the leap and buy a new computer for the first time in like, 10 years. I did that whole switcheroo thing and got a Mac. Not a fancy one or anything, but it's totally adorable and I really love it already.

As a result of all this melodrama, we'll be introducing the Rich Girls Are Weeping Capital Campaign (tm) sometime next week. Just a little fundraiser to help defray the costs of keeping your very favorite music blog (we are your very favorite music blog, right?) going for another year. For yes, during our unfortunate downtime, TRGAW one-year anniversary passed unremarked upon. Thanks for your support over the past year, dear readers. We really appreciate you.

And so, to celebrate our anniversary and the holidays, here's a rerun of last year's popular selections (sorry -- I'm currently in the process of consolidating my entire mp3 collection on one external hard drive, so I can't access anything therein right now). These are some of my favorite holiday (and holiday-related) songs, and it's my pleasure to share them with you again. (Because we just couldn't bear to post something from the new Hall and Oates Christmas album that's incessantly advertised on VH1 Classics, even in jest...)

Best wishes from us to you and the people you care about. Have a lovely weekend, and we'll be back full-time starting Tuesday and our picks best of 2006. Promise.

First, a few covers of nouveaux classics:

Stars -- Fairytale of New York.

Neko Case -- Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis.


...and some heartbreakingly bittersweet ones:

Okkervil River -- Listening to Otis Redding at Home During Christmas.

Dolly Parton (with Kenny Rogers) -- Hard Candy Christmas

...and some silly, saucy, and totally sweet (respectively) twists on old favorites:

Alan Cumming and Liza Minnelli -- Baby It's Cold Outside. (This popped up on my iPod on the train today, and I knew I had to repost it.)

Girls Aloud -- White Christmas.

Cocteau Twins -- Frosty the Snowman

...can't do without this one, especially as we won't be with our respective families for the holidays this year:

Elvis Costello & The Chieftains -- The St. Stephen's Day Murders.

...and, as I mentioned last year, what's Christmas without some handbells?

St. Wulfrum's Handbell Ringers -- Good King Wenceslas

(Other recent developments -- we were sad to learn that the legendary Beat Street records closed earlier this year, we were looking forward to saying that it was our neighborhood record store...)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the Mac!

Saturday, December 23, 2006 9:15:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guarantee your Mac loves you already, too. ;) My Mac is my boyfriend.

Thanks for the Christmas goodness!

Saturday, December 23, 2006 10:10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would it not be in keeping with the season to mention Liza's tendency to be paired up with eminently gay men?

OK, just checking.

Saturday, December 23, 2006 1:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BRYAN FERRY.

Wednesday, December 27, 2006 11:23:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

please PLEASE can u send me Cold Outside by Liza Minnelli and Alan Cumming? Ive been looking for it EVERYWHERE and cant find it! i heard it once and LOVED it! Please?

u can tell me yes, no or send me the song at Carmen_martinez70546@yahoo.com

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 12:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com