The Rich Girls Are Weeping

03 January 2007

I've just spent wayyy too much of my morning updating my account on TourFilter, which is an entertaining cross between upcoming.org (which I kind of hate) and ohmyrockness or any of the other myriad sites that track events in NYC.

The most entertaining thing about TourFilter is the ability to see what other bands users are tracking. For instance, I had a good giggle over the fact that Slim Moon (founder of Kill Rock Stars and currently doing A&R for Nonesuch) and I seem to be tracking the same bands -- meanwhile, I'm dying to know who user 3xWes is, seeing as he/she/it also tracking tourdates for Interpol, Sally Shapiro, and solo shows from Will Sheff of Okkervil River. Obviously a weirdo like me, I suppose.

Speaking of Sally Shapiro, I can't get enough of her, really. If I were to make a list of my favorite discoveries of 2006, she'd be right at the top. Here's a belated holiday-themed song for you.

Sally Shapiro -- Anorak Christmas. (site)

Ok, time to run errands -- library, post office, bank. The usual boring stuff.

BTW, I tried listening to the new Menomena record, Friend and Foe (stream it over here) but just got bored. I wasn't the biggest fan of their previous work, but still. It was more interesting than this! Sad to say, I think they're the latest victims of The Barsuck Effect -- you know, have a promising future, sign to Barsuk, put out a streamlined, dull album. It seems this is only happening with new roster additions -- roster veterans are generally safe.

Labels: , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Andrew said...

Yo chicks.

From another Austin-to-NYC pilgrim, welcome. I've been slyly absorbing all the aural goodness that your blog offers for about a month now. I think I fell in love a bit when I found you to be the ONLY source of Hard Candy Christmas on the whole of hype machine. Anyways, thought I'd return the favor and bestow some musical magic upon ya. That is, if you're not already plugged in enough to know about this event:

http://music.for-robots.com/archives/001785.html#more

Check it out, y'all. We should get together and make some margs and queso, cause lord knows there's not a Magnolia here...sigh.

Happy Trails.
A

Wednesday, January 03, 2007 12:37:00 PM  
Blogger J said...

3xWes is good people; he writes here and does concert reviews for Productshop.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007 12:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But Andrew, Kerbey Queso is so much better than Mag Mud! Cindy has the ultra-secret como su cocina queso recipe down.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007 1:25:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The new events feature on last.fm is pretty handy, too, because it just grabs recommended events from bands you've listened to rather than you having to maintain a list of bands or search through listings.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007 2:22:00 PM  
Blogger kathryn said...

Ha. Wes is a friend of mine -- you totally met him at the Neon Lights thing at the Delancey!

Wednesday, January 03, 2007 5:06:00 PM  
Blogger Andy Baio said...

I guess I should be grateful that you only "kind of" hate Upcoming and not "really, really" hate us. A glimmer of hope!

Thursday, January 04, 2007 5:26:00 AM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

Andrew: Thanks for the heads-up on that event. Not sure if we'll make it out, I might be dragging Pinkie to something MUCH LESS COOL. So uncool, I can't even say what it is here, but suffice it to say, it involves acoustic guitars uptown. Oh yes. Also, it's very nice to meet you, and expect an invite to TRGAW Rooftop Lone Star, Margs, and Queso blowout party, which will happen ... someday. Well, as soon as we can figure out how to get on the roof, probably!

Jeff: Ahah, thank you. I don't read those sites, but I will now.

Pinkie: Don't tell people that, or we'll have all the expat Austinites beating on the door for cheezy dip. (;

Jerome: I need to start using last.fm more, I never take advantage of any of the cool features.

Kathryn: OH DUH! Man, it's a small world after all, isn't it? Did you introduce us because we have similarly bizzaro taste?

Andy: I don't really hate y'awls! I just found that Upcoming was really kind of useless in Austin
(I was always having to enter events, only one of my friends used it -- and sporadicaly at that), but I'll probably be using it more now that I'm in NYC. (;

Thursday, January 04, 2007 12:21:00 PM  
Blogger kathryn said...

It's a small world because you always run into the same bloggers going to the exact same shows 3-4 times a week. Seriously! It's kind of sad.

Wes was the blonde one with the broken wrist; my friend Jerry the Yeti was also there, I'm not sure if you guys ended up meeting. In any case, it won't be long.

PS You're not allowed to hate upcoming.org because a) that's my friend Andy who just chimed in and b) I use it tons.

Thursday, January 04, 2007 3:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com